Book Review: Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock


Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock
Matthew Quick


If you want to be totally emotionally destroyed, I can highly recommend this book. I couldn't really read this in public because I was that cautious of what was going to happen on the next page that I couldn't trust myself to not breakdown in tears on a bus, or train, or wherever it was I may have been at the time. 

This is another stellar novel by Matthew Quick, a writer you may have heard of (famous for the adaptation of his book Silver Linings Playbook, released in 2012 with the amazing, David O. Russell, at the helm). The book only covers a span of two days, just, it's mainly set on the birthday of the protagonist, Leonard Peacock, and let me be the first to tell you, this kid has had it rough, and his birthday is definitely no picnic. It didn't take me all too long to read this book because as every page turned I just wanted to make sure this kid was going to be okay by the end, so I had to keep going. I remember I was around half way when things really started to get serious and I honestly didn't put the book down, except for when I had to take a moment for all the tears in my eyes to clear away so I could actually see the book again (seriously, this happened, ask my poor mother who came home to see me crying on the couch and the scared look on her face thinking something serious had happened, but no, just me reading a book, casual).

If you're an avid reader, and don't mind a little emotional damage, read this book. Matthew Quick is the king of domestic stories, they never bore me and they always take on an interesting topic, Silver Linings lends a voice to mental health, Leonard Peacock, goes a little darker, and a little younger in its protagonist's ages, but looks closely at other mental illnesses, such as depression. This book isn't for the faint hearted, and I will give you the trigger warning of suicide, because I know that isn't an easy topic for everyone, so if that isn't anywhere near your cup of tea, don't attempt this book, because it's no Perks of Being a Wallflower, it throws you into the deep end and forces you to try and wade through the water as waves crash over you.

In saying that, Leonard Peacock, is ever so rewarding. When I finished this book (after a good three hours straight of reading), it was a relief, not because of the book being hard to read, or any such thing, but just because there was such a close to the book, you could be satisfied with having only read into two days of a boy's life, and that was just fine.

Let me know if you've read this book, or any other from (King) Matthew Quick!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author